bunnycates

bunnycates

Beautiful Creatures (Beautiful Creatures Series #1)

Beautiful Creatures  - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia **review originally posted on www.bunnycates.com**I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK. So this book is long. Scary long, but it is so worth it. I loved all the characters. The main character, Ethan is so sweet. Just a boy, who’s lost his mom, and kind of lost his dad. You just want to hug him. The book is told from his perspective and it is refreshing to read a book written from the “guys” POV. Lena, the main character girl, is so relatable. I mean, at least for me. A girl that’s “different” (ie not the cookie cutter cutesie type) moves to a small town, where she just doesn’t fit in. BUT she was totally ok with it, she’d rather just be herself. I got that. I LOVED that. So, of course, sweet boy meets different girl and falls all kind of in love. AND THEN… the crazy **** happens! I loved Amma, the boy’s family’s domestic help. I LOVED her and her parental scary southern ways. HAHA. She was just like any observant memaw oughtta be. Plus a little something extra for spite. hehe…My favorite character out of this entire story was Macon. Such a fun character. In my mind, I totally saw Jim Carey (in character in Lemony Snicket) for Macon. I don’t know why, but I did. Sweet, and silly, and scary, and quirky. And I loved him for it. Call me crazy, but I want a “prequel” series. One of Macon, growing up! Entire books of him. He. Makes. Me. Happy.As for the story – awesome.This is a story about a girl who must choose between being good or being bad (as we all do, I think.). Only in her case, its bad or good FOR REAL. As we get into the story, we learn that she must choose which path because of a curse that was set into motion a hundred or so years ago and has just become “the way it is” for her family. It is Ethan’s love for her that he risks everything to save her.Being one that really is not fond of “romance” books, I still loved THIS book. I did not like the ending. I mean like on a “personal” level. I will say that. I cried. I do not like crying. I am not THAT girl. bah!I do have one thing I don’t “get”, and it’s kind of “spoilerish” so don’t read this part if you haven’t read the books.If Lena chooses light then all dark casters die, and if she choices dark then all light casters die… Then how is it there are both light AND dark casters from older generations in this book. In theory, wouldn’t one or the other all be dead? Since every time someone turns 16 they have to choose… then every 16th birthday half the family would die off…Or am I combining book one and two in my head? Did that become part of it when it went to 17 moons instead of 16? Ugh, Im so confused now. LOL…In the end I say READ IT. It’s awesome!