bunnycates

bunnycates

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story - Susan Hill **Originally posted on www.bunnycates.com **When I first started in on this book, I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I mean 40 some odd pages in and still NOTHING had “happened”. I’m glad I stuck with it, though. I enjoyed the characters, Arthur, especially. I just kept waiting for something scary to happen, and it never did. Nothing made me pull my covers up over my face or get up and turn some more lights on. I told my friend that it was not a scary book, per say; but more an old time ghost story told by kids at summer camp about a scary house up the road from camp. The “scary” was more that you were on pins and needles WAITING for something scary. LOLAt first I was really surprised that the powers that be in Hollywood adapted this book to film. It’s a ghost story but with no big “BOO!” moments. But the more I think about it, this may be the one instance where the movie is better than the book. I can totally see where having some “visuals” would help intensify the story. Good story, but not “horror”. I would classify this book as more “Paranormal” “Suspense”.In Conclusion:I liked this book well enough. It was just really slow getting going. I would recommend it to people who like “ghost stories”. I also have full intensions of watching the movie!Mom Notes: Not scary, just suspenseful. Deals with sadness and death. Would say ages “advanced” 10+