bunnycates

bunnycates

Graveminder

Graveminder - Melissa Marr ** Originally posted on BunnyCates.com **I was sent this lovely as a gift from a friend who knew I wanted it! Thank you, friend!Graveminder by Melissa Marr was a quick over night read for me. You can see my Goodreads updates here. I started crying around page 20 and cried off and on through the rest of the book. Something about the girl loosing her Gran really got me, and it connected me to the characters hard!I’m not going to lie, there are some typos in this book. But even so, it wasn’t enough to make me dislike the story. I loved it, and hope there are more to come! I still say shame on her editors.I was looking at some of the other reviews, (because everyone was shocked I was crying – so I wanted to see what others were saying about this book) and had to laugh because people are fierce in proclaiming this is not a zombie book. I wanted to touch on this, to just kind of get my opinion out there. This is not a “typical” zombie book, no. HOWEVER, in this book – dead people don’t stay dead. They come back and eat you. They are not vampires, so what would you call them? “The undead”? “Walkers”? “Creepy people who are no longer alive, been buried, and come back wanting to eat you”? Uhhhh –> zombies. Yep, that pretty much fits it.For me, the “zombies” weren’t even the meat of the story the people were. (No pun intended. ha!) The “bigger picture” was. Life, death, the relationships formed in between. Fate, karma, and the choices we think we make for ourselves. Friendship, love, and the strength it takes to create and maintain it. For me this book was so much more than the zombies on the pages with in it.About the crying… I cried. A lot. I guess I am a freaknut though because I saw no other mention of “sadness” in any of the other reviews I read. Seriously, I am starting to think I am crazy. ha. I thought the writing was fantastic and flowed. I read it in an overnight, so I’d say if flowed fairly well!The characters – I loved them. All. Even the “side” characters. I think I actually like Amity more than I liked the main character, Rebekkah. I was heartbroken with Maylene. I thought Mr D was sexy as *bleep*. Like Gary Oldman as young Dracula, sexy. You know. Eery, creepy, naughty, and still… STILL you wanted to touch. Just a little. A stroke of the hand or a brush of the hair. I could see Johnny Depp (if he’d go back dirty again) in role for Mr D. No kidding.I thought the world building was fantastic. I hope there are more books in this story because there is so much room to expand on. Even though this is a “complete story”, and it could be DONE. I would love to see more. Especially more of Charles, aka Mr D – and the other “people” there, in his world. There were just enough hints and “openings” that more books in this series could be imagined!In Conclusion:I loved this book. For some reason, I didn’t find it scary. I found it sad. I cried. Would totally recommend to my “paranormal reads” loving friends!Mom Notes:Contains: death, drinking, “limbo”, etc. May not be suitable for children under say 13-14. I think I would let my oldest read it, but probably not my youngest. I could see it confusing younger ones with regards to their faith, death, etc. Then again, I got something out of this book different than apparently every other person on the planet who read it, so… who am I to judge? ha.