bunnycates

bunnycates

The Help

The Help - Kathryn Stockett Original Review post on my site at www.bunnycates.com/readingI’ve been sitting here about 15 minute trying to decide how to start this review. lol. You see, much to my surprise I absolutely LOVED this book. That seems simple enough to say, right? Then problem then becomes how much do I include to show you WHY I loved it. If I tell you all my favorite bits, will it be “spoiling” the book for you? Ugh. You guys are killing me! lol!When I was browsing the book shelves in my favorite Aunts house, desperate to find something for my book club pick, she handed me her copy of the Help. I, being a horror lover by design, shriveled my nose and tried to hand it back to her. “Just read it…” she says “you’ll love it, I know YOU will.” and she made this kind of cuckoo face. You know,the eyebrows went up and a head nod was included for effect. Like there was some kind of inside joke we were in on, only I WASN’T “in” on it. LOL. I love my Auntie though, and I swear if you knew her you would too, so I put the book on my take home stack not feeling a bit of eagerness to begin the journey through it’s pages. I grudgingly began my journey around 7pm on January 4th. I closed the book, already missing my friends, the morning of January 6th. That’s how I feel too. I am sad I read it so fast. I miss my friends. Stockett did an amazing job of character development. Skeeter, who I think if she were a real person very well could have become my best friend. Mrs Aibileen, bless her heart, such a caring soul. Everyone’s memaw. I really could just hug on to her and never let go. And then Minny. Oh my word. Can I just say if I had been a black maid in Mississippi *did I spell that right? emm eye crooked letter cooked letter..oh hell* in 1962, I would have BEEN Minny! I love her. I want Minny to have her own book. And a tv show. haha. The book is so well written. There is a gradual build and a fantastic climax. I always say a good book is like sex… and without the climax, well, the rest of it is just a bunch of work. I hated ole “two slice Hilly”, and LAUGHED OUT LOUD when she finally got her ‘”just desserts”. I wanted to save lil MaeMo, and raise her as my own. I wanted to hug Mrs Celia, and just be there for her. I wanted to high five Skeeter, and tell her how much I admired her!This book was, in my humble opinion… just awesome. I laughed, I cried, and now I miss my storybook friends.